Sunday, September 28, 2008

Family Reunion

reunion 063

The boys and I are home from our family reunion.  It was held at the ancestral property in Alabama where Zach and John Charles' great, great, great grandfather lived.  His name was "Wild John".  The property has been in the family all these years and when we're there we feel so at home. No words or photos can capture the beauty or describe the remoteness of this property.  It's like you've been dropped off in the middle of a vast wilderness.

I'm in the process of making a musical slide show, but for now I hope you'll enjoy a few photographs. I wasn't able to get the posed family shots that I wanted because the boys were constantly running off to explore some where, but I still love all the photos I got.

Turning off the road onto the long trail that leads to the homestead.  First we have to drive across this narrow bridge.

reunion 015

 

The water that we're driving over

reunion 016

 

Zach opens the first gate for us

reunion 017

 

We enjoy the beautiful  mountain scenery

reunion 020

 

Lots of beautiful scenery

reunion 024

 

 Colby gets the next gate

100_8589

 

We have to drive through the water this time

100_8592

 

I love this portion of the trail

100_8594

 

We're there!

100_8600

 

Happy 100th Birthday Sallie Belle!

reunion 053

 

It's not time to go into the cave yet

reunion 036

 

Exploring

reunion 107

 

The old barn where Sallie Belle killed a bear

reunion 085

 

Good ole Southern cooking to enjoy

reunion 108

 

Papa Charles with 2nd cousins that he'd never met before.

reunion 061

 

There are a few caves on the property.  This one is the easiest to explore.

reunion 062

 

Let's go caving!

reunion 109

 

Inside the cave at the AL/TN border ( I don't know how they know this)

reunion 114

 

A fossilized footprint inside the cave.  There's a baby footprint nearby too.

reunion 116

I see light!

100_8612

 

After an hour and a half I exit the cave exhausted

reunion 118

 

Zach and Tanner in front of the trail that leads to the mountain top family cemetery before we leave

reunion 045

 

Enjoying the scenery and longing to live here as we drive back down the trail.

 reunion 093

 

Back over the bridge that takes us to the main road.  Makes me want to cry!

 reunion 101

 

After a good night's sleep we head back home to the hustle and bustle of city life.

DSCN0140

 

We enjoy lunch at The Varsity

DSCN0144

 

We making seating changes and then we head home.

DSCN0146

 

Thank you for the trip Papa and Nana.  We had a great time.  John Charles has even cried to go back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin