Monday, November 30, 2009

Marriage Monday – He Speaks

Today's topic is, "He Speaks: A Revealing Interview With My Husband."  These are Randy’s answers to my questions about Christmas.

Randy with Santa

image

1.  What was Christmas like for you growing up?  What were some of the Christmas traditions that you remember from your childhood?  Christmas was a special and magical time that I looked forward to.  The traditions that I remember are going to my Grandmother’s house (Mama Newton) to eat with family and open gifts.  My fondest memory was of my other Grandmother (Mama Hutch) and how she would stay at our house with us that night.  After we left Mama Newton’s we would go home and I would watch Rudolf, Frosty, The Grinch. or other Christmas cartoons and then head to bed.  Mama Hutch would get me to sleep by telling me stories like Jack and the Beanstalk and Little Red Riding Hood.  I would usually wake up early and sneak down the hall to peak at what I got, then we would all get up, open gifts, and I would go to my friend’s to see what they got and play all day.

2.  What traditions from your childhood are important for you to continue with our family?  Family getting together and going to candle lite service.  Also Christmas movies with family and even though we did not read the Christmas Story in my childhood, to do this each Christmas Eve.

3.  How do you think your expectations for Christmas differ from mine?  I am less spiritual than you and should expect to make Christmas more about Christ and the true meaning of it.

4.  How do you focus on the deeper meaning of Christ’s birth at Christmas?  By celebrating Advent and going to church services.  Also by spending time during this season in prayer and thanks and focusing on the gift of Christ to us.

5.  What can I, as your wife, do to make Christmas more special and less stressful for you?  I really think that there is nothing you can do about the stress but maybe you could help me throughout the year to develop a family Christmas fund so we don’t have money/gift stress.  As far as making it more special, we need to plan to do special family outings.  I would like to plan on Calloway, Pink Pig, Nutcracker, etc. each year.

For more Marriage Monday posts click here.

image

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I really enjoyed your husband's answers.

    Now THIS makes so much sense: "...a family Christmas fund so we don’t have money/gift stress." Why don't more families to it? I really think that would help the men a lot, since they tend to feel most of the financial stress.

    Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today, Tammy.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Christmas budgeted and throughout theyear, if we see something special for someone we'll pick it up and give it at Christamas. It's definitely less stressful. My hub actually, on his own initiative, popped in "Meet Me In St Louis" the other night, which is one of my favorite "Christmas" movies! We cuddled on the couch with the Christmas tree ablaze and just enjoyed the moment!

    have a B;esed Christmas!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story he tells of his Grandmothers! I have similar memories that I treasure to no end. And I agree with the others...his Christmas fund idea will be the perfect stress reliever for you guys and a great reminder to the rest of us to do the same!

    Big Blessings,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin