Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Battle of Lovejoy Station

This weekend Randy participated in a Civil War Re-enactment at Nash Farm Battlefield for the Battle of Atlanta. It was a step back in time for the final battles of the Atlanta Campaign. Today John Charles and I attended to visit the camp and watch the battle which was called the Battle of Lovejoy Station.

I’ve heard Northerners laugh at us saying that we’re still fighting the war all these years later. The hobby of Civil War re-enacting is not only enjoyed by Southerners though.

If you’re wondering why so many people are interested in this hobby let me share a few reasons. First of all, we are history buffs. Many get involved in this hobby after researching their own families and finding ancestors who fought on one or both sides of the war. Re-enactors and their families also enjoy the social aspect of meeting friends who share their love of the period. Re-enacting is also a great way to enjoy camping and the outdoors and of course we love shopping and there are always wonderful sutlers to visit.

I'm only going to share one photo with you, because I'm having trouble publishing my blog through Live Writer since having a computer virus and I'm just too lazy to add many photos through Blogger any more!







2 comments:

  1. I've heard of these Civil War reenactments for years, and now I 'know' someone who participates. Neat! Is this the only one that Randy participates in?

    Got a couple of questions for you, Tammy. Does each participant make their own costume/uniform? (and) I've heard that these reenactments are held on the actual anniversary dates of the battles. That sounds like it's probably right. Is it?

    Here in Houston, there's usually a reenactment of the Battle of San Jacinto (where Sam Houston's troops overcame Santa Ana in the final major battle of the Texans vs. Mexico -- in 1836 -- not much of a "battle" really -- pretty much caught the Mexicans in a sated mode, many taking a siesta, after the massacres at The Alamo and Goliad) in April each year.

    Have never gone to see the reenactment, altho I've been to the site many times. Visiting historic sites, particularly those of battle, is sobering and awe-inspiring. Once, while visiting Shiloh in September (mid-week), I was about the only one there and could almost see and actually hear the sounds of battle. Eerie.

    I think it's important that we all remember critical periods in our history as they actually occurred and not try to rewrite them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy has been re enacting for about 6 years I guess. So far he has only participated in ones in Georgia, but some people travel around the country. The events are usually around the anniversary dates of the actual battles. On Fridays schools often bring children out for living history. Saturdays and Sundays the public comes out. Some people do make their own clothing but most buy whatever they need from sutlers. Randy has been able to get a lot of his things from other guys who have too much or decide to get out of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin