Tuesday, August 19, 2008

He's Got Mail

John Charles loves to open mail and gets to open all the junk mail that we receive.  He's thrilled when he receives letters, cards or invitations of his very own.  Today he received something that was a big surprise and treat for him.

Illustrations for this edition by George and Doris Hauman

Today he received a book in the mail.  It was a hardback copy of The Little Engine that Could.  It came from The Ferst Foundation for Childhood Literacy which is an affiliate of Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.

The program provides books for local communities to prepare children for reading and learning success. Children registered for the program receive a book at their home every month via U.S. mail until their fifth birthday.  If they are registered as soon as they are born, each child will receive up to 60 free books for their own personal library.

The children’s classic, The Little Engine That Could, is the first book  each child receives and Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready For Kindergarten is the final book that is received when the child turns 5. I wish I had known about this program earlier!  Here's the 2008 book list for John Charles' age group:

Aesop’s Fables

Grandfather Buffalo

Red, Red, Red*

Apple Farmer Annie (bilingual)†

Legend Of The Indian Paintbrush

Snowy Day

Coyote Raid In Cactus Canyon

Luke Goes To Bat

Take Care Good Knight

Eight Animals on the Town†

Officer Buckle and Gloria

The House That Jack Built

Eight Animals Play Ball

Zinnia’s Flower Garden

Thanks to Dolly and everyone who supports the program!

5 comments:

  1. What a great program. Too bad my youngest is five or I would join. I wasn't aware of it. I will tell my friends who have younger children though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the 'legend' of the Indian paintbrush, Tammy? I'm not familiar with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant! Do they only send to the US?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! What a great program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goldenrod, I don't know the legend of the Indian paintbrush either,but I look forward to learning about it.

    Fifi, I think the program is operating in the US, Canada and the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin