This is a devotion by Nancy Campbell from Above Rubies.
STORING UP TREASURE
1 Timothy 6:19, "Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life."
The above Scripture encourages us to lay up in store for the time to come. In the context, it is actually speaking to those who have riches in this world, exhorting them to be rich in good works and generous to the needy. But I do believe this message is for all of us. I think it is one of the greatest exhortations we can have, don't you?
Every moment of our lives we should be "laying up in store" for the eternal kingdom. We cannot take any material possessions out of this world. It is all vanity. 1 Timothy 6:7 says, "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." We will only take what we lay up in heaven.
We need to remind ourselves again of Matthew 6:19-21, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will you heart be also."
I have always been challenged by the statement,
"Life is a dressing room for eternity."
Everything we do and say, either builds for this world, or for the eternal world.
I think we will have a lot of surprises in heaven. I remember reading about a man of God who had a vision of the eternal realm. He said that he saw that the people who were closest to the throne of God were mothers and intercessors. Our liberal society does not have time for these ministries. Even the Christian world does not always affirm them. They don't receive the limelight. But they are powerful in God's eyes.
Dear mother, I want to remind you that as you sacrificially pour out your life for your children, as you mother and nurture them in the ways of God, as you pour out your heart in prayer for them--you are laying up treasure for eternity! Your mothering is never wasted. It builds for eternity. You are preparing your children for the heavenly realm. And you lay up heavenly treasure for yourself as you do it.
You may feel inferior because you think you are wasting your education as you lay down your career for motherhood. You may feel sorry for yourself because you are not making money like your neighbor who is choosing her career over motherhood. You may feel insecure because you don't feel that you are accomplishing great things in your home.
Don't listen to these deceptions and negatives. As you mother your children in your home, you are in the perfect will of God. You are building for eternity. You are laying up store for the time to come.
You are building a big mansion for yourself up there! This is certainly not a waste of time!
Love from NANCY CAMPBELL
PRAYER:
"Lord, please help me to put value on the eternal things, on the things that you put value on. Help me to remember each day that motherhood is building for eternity."
AFFIRMATION:
I have given up hoarding for this world: I am hoarding up treasure for the heavenly kingdom.


If you were to stop by my home you would not see anything fancy. If you were to eat at my table you would find that our food is common. To look at our material possessions you would think I am lacking. But oh don't you know that I am a princess? My father owns the cattle on the hills. Everything that is and was and ever will be belong to Him. And I am an heir in Him. Here on earth I have nothing really but oh what I have waiting for me! I can't imagine. I know that my daughter will be there. After all when Job lost everything, including his children. All was given back to him doubled....except for his children the same amount was given again. What was that? Well the answer is this....his children were doubled. You see just because his children died doesn't mean they were gone....God knew right where they were and so did Job. When God gave him the same numbered of children again -- He did double them. Because the ones that died from this old world were not gone...they just had a different address for a little while. Oh thank you Jesus for all that you have given us and all that you have planned to give us.
ReplyDelete