Monday, June 2, 2008

Make Your House a Home - Week 1

Make your house a home challenge in June

I've joined Suzanne in her Make Your House a Home Challenge in June.

As I've pondered ways to make our house more homier, I've realized that for me, it's atmosphere that makes a house a home. I want to have a home that has a comfortable and loving atmosphere and that radiates the presence and love of God. It's my goal to do a little each week to move us closer to that goal.

I think that one thing that gives our home a welcoming atmosphere is having a home that is filled with wonderful aromas.  There is such a strong connection between scents and memories.  I want to do all that I can to have delicious aromas throughout our home that will help trigger beautiful childhood memories when the boys are grown.

This week I have made an effort to create more pleasing aromas in our home by baking more. 

The first thing that I baked was Sweet Potato Bread.  It's a recipe that I tried for the first time a few weeks ago.  We all loved it so I was happy to bake more this week.

sweet potato bread 1

Here's the recipe so that your family can enjoy it too! We don't use nuts in ours.

Sweet Potato Bread

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon mace
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
Preparation:

Grease bottom of a loaf pan approximately 9- x 5- x 3-inches. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and spices in mixing bowl; stir in the sugar, pecans, and raisins or dates. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, milk, and mashed sweet potatoes; stir to blend well. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon just until the mixture is moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.

Other things that I've baked this week include biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and cookies.  Our home has smelled wonderful, and when I haven't been baking, I've had a pot of cinnamon and water simmering on the stove.

biscuits

buns

cookies

These scents have been wonderful, but I also want to be sure that we let the aromas of patience, love, joy, and kindness permeate through our home.

4 comments:

  1. Tammy we must be thinking alike with the aromas..LOL! I bet the your home smelled so inviting. I have got to try that sweet potato bread receipt, it looks yummy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look scrumptious, Tammy!

    Can't wait to try them.

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, your blog is so sunshiny-pretty. All of your baked goodies look so delicious! Have a happy week. Cat ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just printed out the recipe.

    I've NEVER thought of simply having a pot of water with a little cinnamon in it simmering on the stove. What a great idea!

    I agree with your thoughts on scents and aromas. We've been loving our cupcakes. Not so much eating them (all though they are really good, lol) but just the way the house smells when we bake them.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin